Lockdown in Covid19 has forced camera manufacturers to think on a unique feature where their existing cameras can work as a webcam for streaming live footage. After Fuji, Panasonic and Canon announced their utility, Nikon has also released a Free Webcam Utility which allows you to use their latest mirrorless cameras to be used as a webcam for live streaming. Interesting to note is that this ultility works well with their DSLRs as well and does not require a capture card.
Nikon’s webcam utility is Nikon Beta Webcam Untility v0.0.0 and like Fuji and Canon, is currently available for Windows 10 only. Using this utility, you can connect the camera to USB port of your Windows based computer and select “Webcam Utility” as the output source. You can even do this using a live streaming app.
Nikon’s range of compatible cameras are:
Nikon D7500, and
For some strange reason Nikon did not include their most affordable D3500 in this list. They have also omitted their Coolpix range of cameras.
While this feature comes as a sigh of relief for Nikon users, there are few limitations as well:
- Its not compatible with MAC
- Using live view may drain the battery faster than usual
- Camera may get over heated while live streaming is on, making it shut down in between
- Nikon Transfer 2 and/or Camera Control Pro 2 may not work with Webcam Utility on and you may have to stop Webcam Utility to be able to use both of them.
- You will be not be able to adjust camera settings while it is being used to stream live.
Nikon is promising 2 months free for this utility and it will be interesting to see how much they price it after 2 months.
Nikon has also announced recently that one can expect their utility for Mac as well very soon. Here is what Nikon announced:
“We are planning to release a beta version of the Nikon Webcam Utility software for Mac users. More information will be shared soon.”
For more details on the features and compatibility and also to download the utility, you can check Nikon WebStraming Webpage
While this looks a promising and exciting announcement for Nikon users, am sure Mac users will also be eagerly waiting for Nikon to release MAC version as well.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!